View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Volk Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Nismo Z
Volk Z has a reputation beyond reputeVolk Z has a reputation beyond reputeVolk Z has a reputation beyond reputeVolk Z has a reputation beyond reputeVolk Z has a reputation beyond reputeVolk Z has a reputation beyond reputeVolk Z has a reputation beyond reputeVolk Z has a reputation beyond reputeVolk Z has a reputation beyond reputeVolk Z has a reputation beyond reputeVolk Z has a reputation beyond repute
Default Installing a Tommy Kaira shift knob and aligning the turtle perfectly :)

I know there have been a bunch of posts regarding the issue of the turtle not lining up perfectly... So being a perfectionist with OCD I found the way besides stuffing paper in the end of the knob or using loctite.

Here goes:

Buy 5 Napa copper washers Part #26442
Buy one 3/8 opening rubber grommet at home depot (this is for making the boot flush)
Buy one sheet of 120 sandpaper (will tell you why)

First pop up the shift boot assembly and put the rubber grommet over the threaded part that holds the shifter on.

Then Take one of the washers and just sand one edge down with around 14 light swipes across one of the washers. Then take the 4 washers and mate them up by their flater sides together put them on top of the stock spacer that comes on the car. Then after you have sanded the 5th one down just slightly put that on top of the 4 sitting on the shifter thread assembly sanded side facing down.

Then screw the knob on. It will stop slightly before it needs to for a full tighten then twist it a little more giving it slight force and voila the turtle should be facing straight.

Pics will be posted tomorrow I promise,

I just wanted to give a scientific alternative to some of the attempts at straightening the turtle and writing. This is good for someone with minimal toolsand little patience

Enjoy