View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
gsxr750
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2012 370z man. sport
gsxr750 will become famous soon enough

You should tend to stay away from the ones owned by the young street dork crowd, with all the mods, painted accessories etc.

This would give evidence that the car is probably driven hard and you don't know if the mods were done correctly.

What you should try and find is a low mileage unmolested completely stock, latest yr. you can afford, from a mature male owner, with a good documented service history.

Try and stay away from used ones from the dealers unless they are low mileage 1 yr old car etc.

I recently went to a Mercedes dealer in Las Vegas and met the wheel touch up guy behind the dealership , that repainted one of my rays wheels.

What really suprized me was all the mobile vendors that they had parked in backed of the dealership, set up outside in the early morning to fix and touch up all the trade ins and other dealer repair.

1. One painter was repainting the entire front end on a $100k Mercedes completely outdoors in 55 degree weather. Paint specs and flaws all over the front end.

2. car interior refinishers respraying leather seats and door panels with paint dye, and redying stains.

3. then you have the general detailers doing everything from interiors, exteriors and polishing out faded head lights etc.

4. Then you have the quick grind and sand wheel touch up, with wheels that if you watched them spin on a balancer would be wobbling side to side like the wheels on a beat up 20" bmx bike, from the excessive amount of metal they ground off.

My point is that the dealers have all types of tricks to hide flaws and defects on their used trade ins and lease cars, its just a new version of repainting the entire engine bay with tire black or under coating and putting saw dust in a manual transmission to make it run smoother for a while.

Once you own the car for 90 days , all the cheap touch up paint and dye fades away and problems start to happen.

Last edited by gsxr750; 11-05-2012 at 02:40 PM.
gsxr750 is offline   Reply With Quote