View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

Overkill is your friend in a tow vehicle. I used to have a Dodge Ram 2500 Sport with Cummins diesel for towing a 6000lb boat back and forth from Florida to Chicago. The truck had something around 12,000lb towing capacity. The 'going' was never an issue and we'd routinely cruise rock steady around 75-80mph despite the massive aerodynamic drag of the boat. However, stopping could often get hairy. The trailer had pressure activated brakes (not electric) and they worked for $hit. I recall a couple instances of ditching into the emergency lane when traffic stopped abruptly.

My suggestion would be to get as capable a vehicle as possible if you're looking at long distances or highway speeds. It could save your life. If you're just moving around town, then you can get by with significantly less in the tow vehicle. Just remember the limitations and err far on the side of safety. Just like in a track car, the braking ability is far more important than the power. And those maximum tow ratings are not where you want to be living with your setup...you'll be struggling if you're near your vehicle's max towing capacity.