View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
gsxr750
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2012 370z man. sport
gsxr750 will become famous soon enough

I've done a lot of time researching this on my 2012 370z with the silver 19" rays on them.

Basically the painted used on alloy wheels and nissans is really pretty thin an cheaply applied, its basically a black base coat, with silver sprayed on it and then cleared coated.

I had a few scratches in a couple wheels that I had toched up for by the chain called Alloy Wheel Repair at $60 a wheel , the guy did a perfect match.

Note the paint on nissan wheels is some thin, you can rub it down the the bare primer in only a few passes of a polishing paste etc.

With aluminum the key thing to remember is to avoid all laquer finishes as it will lift and peel

On bare aluminum you first need to use an paint that in an acid etching primer first, then you can use laquer if you wish over the etching primer.

Your best bet is to just use any of the alloy wheel paints offered by VHT or duplicolor and if bare alloy is exposed than apply a coat of etching primer, before the wheel paint.

I actually prefer VHT frame , chassis and roll bar expoxy can spray paint as it is very durable, it takes about a week to dry hard in the hot sun , or a month at room temperature , but once it cures it is a very durable finish and will far outlast any factory wheel finish.

I was toying with buying a set of used rays takeoffs and having the finish stripped and just leaving them polished bare alloy, as for the paint on nissan wheels I feel it could be easily stripped to the bare finish with any aircraft paint stripper.

Last edited by gsxr750; 11-11-2012 at 01:10 PM.
gsxr750 is offline   Reply With Quote