Thread: 2009 issues?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
herojason
Base Member

Drives: 09 Mitsubishi Evo
herojason is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEpointfive0 View Post
Ok, the 2009's were more prone to oil consumption issues, they had the steering lock failure, a LOT were replaced, and there is a way of finding if it's the newer one (gotta look for it on the forum), and the rear trunk springs to pop the trunk open suck a lot of the time... There is a ghetto fix with pennies that works (coins or your 10 cent pieces) or you can go to the dealer for a free replacement if the car is under warranty...

Regarding the oil overheating issue, if you're DD-ing it, you should be ok. When I was in Texas and in 100+ degree weather I didn't NEED one, my oil temps never surpassed 190 even after spirited driving..
(I firmly believe that the OIL you use plays a HUGE role in oil temps [I only run NISSAN's ester oil, and I run cooler than almost anyone I know] But the oil debate should be left to the other 678738049 other threads)
Thanks heaps, that is all good to know. Looks like any issues (other than perhaps the steering lock one) are relatively minor, and definately able to be fixed without too much hassle? The lease company will pay for any repairs etc. so for things like the hatch not opening it shouldn't be a problem.
herojason is offline   Reply With Quote