View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
CiprianD
Base Member

Drives: 370z
CiprianD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRed370Z View Post
Welcome to the forum. And just test drive when you go check out the z. And if you have one, I would have a trusted mechanic look at it before you buy if you feel uncomfortable. But check every little thing on the car. Paint, brakes, tires, interior, and etc... make a list of things to check before you go to look at one and know the prices of the z.

Sent from my Galaxy S III
Absolutely, test driving the car is a given. I would never purchase a car without test driving it. As far as the mechanic option goes... I don't think I will be able to do this since the car I am looking to buy is out of state, and I would be unable to take my mechanic with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEpointfive0 View Post
The 09's specifically had oil burning problems more than others, but my 09 with 26k miles doesn't burn a SINGLE drop of oil... at 3500 miles on this last oil change and the oil is STILL at the Full dot...
I think the 370's aren't prone to oil BURNING, more oil OVERHEATING, which causes limp mode... But if you don't track it or do a LOT of really spirited driving, you'll be ok... And worse comes to worse, oil coolers aren't that expensive used... I put one on just for peace of mind
I don't plan on tracking the car at all. Just occasional spirited driving.
Sure, the oil cooler is not a bad investment, and is probably needed to play it safe; but I'm not too worried about that. I am more worried about the oil burning issue, and if it is by any chance the same as my 2003 Maxima. (Bad piston rings from factory) If it is, then performance of the car is also decreased because of this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Hi
Hi there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShow View Post
Welcome!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSTR View Post
Search is your friend. So hello!

Steering lock failure - is annoying your search will show that
Oil burning - another annoying issue for some
Clutch - another search will bring that up as an issue for some
Oil temp - another annoyance for some with cures and opinions

Overall just enjoy the site and learn what the trends have been for some here. Its a car and its a good one. Issues can be found of course.

My experience so far has been great. 2010 with 15,000 miles and it gets put to good and powerful use here in Germany. US model.

Test drive more than 1 and do not buy without sleeping on it and verify what maintenance records you can. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. Correct me if I'm wrong:
- Steering lock failure - Can be easily fixed with pulling the fuse. Not worried about this one too much.
- Oil burning - worried, as I have not done much research on this issue.
- Clutch - worried, as I have not done much research on this issue.
- Oil temp - not worried, can be easily fixed with an oil cooler. Correct me if I'm wrong when saying "easily."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Nismo#91 View Post
Welcome,

Besides the not really an issue oil temp issue.

1. Oil consumption. Check your oil at least ever 1k miles. Probably 500miles till you get a feel of how much if any is being consumed.

2. Paint. It's thin, plan on getting some clear bra or a repaint in the future if you drive on the highway.

3. Road noise, its more then normal cars but nothing you cant get used to our install some sound proofing.

4. Fuel gauge. About 50 miles to before you see movement from a full tank. Sometimes slow to register the last light after a fill up. After half tank it drops noticeably faster then the first half. When below a quarter take avoid taking sharp or long fast right turns, take them easy or you might get fuel starvation.

5. Steering wheel lock. Not sure if this was fixed on new models I think it was but eventually they fail leaving you stranded till its replaced. Simple solution when its unlocked pull the fuse for it.

6. Not really an issue but you can't rotate tires on the Z, well you could but that'd just be silly.

7. Manual only: 2nd gear can be a little difficult from time to time.

8. VLSD wears out over time 30-50k miles and it will be an open differential.

I think that's the extent of the "issues" with the car. Nothing really bad most cars have similar issues just most owners don't car as much as we do.
Thanks for the points above. Is #8 simply considered wear & tear under Nissan's original warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmjaxx9 View Post
welcome like mentioned test driving is the best way to find out
Absolutely; however, test driving the car does not reveal many issues, such as oil burn, etc; or transmission issues... etc. Heck, not even a mechanic reveals these issues at a first glance while the car is on the stealership's lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub370 View Post
aaaand trans synchros.

so other than engine, trans, clutch, cooling, and interior they are great!

i keeeed! they are great cars
Hahaha, thanks for the laugh. I am very attracted to this car, and believe I will ultimately end up signing the check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEpointfive0 View Post
I sent you a hell of a PM...
I greatly appreciate it, thanks so much!
CiprianD is offline   Reply With Quote