View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismosis View Post
Finally, someone else with an engineering degree? Pressure is the answer. The lube system of your engine is designed to specific pressure drop values. A ton of engineering goes into the flow characteristics of the rifles, feed hole diameters, filter head, and filter. It's called fluid dynamics. Use the filter specified for good reason and stop guessing.
Nope, no degree, but plenty of on-job experience with pressurized lubrication systems, DeltaP vs. flow, C-sub-v, &c, &c, &c - all sorts of stuff pertaining to lubrication and process control.

Yes, as I said in my first paragraph, the best way is (usually) the way the engineers designed it. My recommendation was to use an OEM-spec filter.

As for the paragraph about longer filters: Not so much a guess as an assessment of remarks on this forum and others about running longer filters on VQ engines - no problems reported so far (other than the fact that there's not enough room for a much longer filter). Nor do I remember reading/hearing anything about a longer filter causing problems in any automotive engine in the last 40 years or so (other than mechanical, such as rubbing). But my memory ain't what it used to be.
SouthArk370Z is offline   Reply With Quote