Thread: PedalBox
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Old Dude
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370Z Touring
Old Dude is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the unabridged version. I'm feeling talkative tonight.

I think the uprev includes re-mapping throttle control so it could be useful. But I would hope it comes with some other fancy things at a ~2*$300 price tag. Plus, can the tuneable items be changed or is that another $600?

I added AF direct flow air filters and they helped. A little.

But what I have found with this little car has more than enough power. The real issue is how power is applied. Part of the problem is that I still have not mastered the manual mode of my automatic but I'm improving. That's on me.

But I think another big part of the problem is that Nissan's design was heavily weighed toward fuel economy. Why else in the world would a sports car have a manual with 6 gears and an automatic with 7?

For the longest time I couldn't figure out what the hell all these gears were for. Before this car I never had a car with more than 4 gears. Now I think I know why. 6 & 7 are overdrive. These are part of CAFE standards. I think another trick used to improve fuel economy is a flatter throttle response.

I've seen the graphs on the uprev tuning and it seems as though the more aggressive curves produce better throttle response. But I think I would prefer a complex polynomial response curve rather than the simple ones presented, similar to the tuner curve.

The Pedal Box, and to some degree the Sprint Booster, seem to do this. The pedal box graph show maximum throttle voltage change in that areas of 20-30% throttle position in Sport+. But I think I would prefer a double "cliff" with another steep area near 60-70%. Maybe the uprev can do that?

Any thoughts?
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote