View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #30 (permalink)
bvl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: MB Roadster (sold)
bvl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axmea? View Post
Thanks for your review. Aren't there enough mods to close the gap on the handling department? I'm thinking suspension, tires, breaks, and sway bar. Even without electronic steering, there is a way to take the handling of the Z somewhere in Porsche territory.
From a numbers perspective sure however some of the replies (mine included) are of the ilk that its not all about the numbers. There are other things in play, such as basic physics (which I don't know how I can be 'wrong' about...hehe), and the subjective feel of the machine. The GT-R pulls insane numbers for its size, an engineering marvel. It will never feel light or tossible on a back country road going 30-50 mph.

Some cars have a feel that is verym very hard to match. BMW has it with the 3 series. Lotus and Mazda have small roadsters. Porsche has their thing too.

Having spent significant time in a 987 Cayman, being down 1l and 70 HP or so to the Z it still has a much different feel in both basic handling and power delivery. I'm hardly a brand snob (strait, miata fan here. yes they exist), but the experience of the Cayman is far better then the Z. 2X the price better?

To me, no way.

But if they are close.....well, its trade offs at that point. Picked up our 07 Cayman (my wife's DD) for < 40K with warranty and 14K on the ticker.

Now you are talking about a 5-7K premium. Is it worth it?

To me, hells yeah.

The 911 is a different category IMHO. Its larger, cost far more, is a 2+2, and is the epitome of engineering for the brand. It teeters the edge of sports car and ultimate GT depending on packaging.

- b