View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
bigdog1250
Track Member

Drives: 991.2 GT3
bigdog1250 will become famous soon enoughbigdog1250 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvl View Post
OP: the 911 does not drive close to a Cayman. Sales guy was being a sales guy to get you to try something.

The 911 is a great drive and has plenty of fantastic attributes, but from a feel and purist of sports car perspective you owe it to yourself to drive a Cayman. Comparing a new 991 to the outgoing 987 Cayman may not be that fair, but there still are significant differences either way (until the new 981 arrives).

I love the Z for what it is: a good value package. I rate it as 75% of a Cayman (which to me is the logical comparison vs. a 911). The Porsche has better steering feel, better rotation, better chassis manners, and is a lighter package. The Z gives you more value per creature comfort and more raw power. Power isn't everything however.

- b
While I will surely test-drive the new Cayman for the true experience, I think you're wrong and here's why. The new 911 is DRASTICALLY different than the old car and addressed all the criticism of the rear-biased car. Every magazine has emphasized this. If you drive one you'll see what I mean. He was VERY knowledge about Porsches and you could tell he was being truthful. He openly told me that he is planning on buying the new Cayman as well (he currently is leasing a 2012 WRX until the new one is released). He wanted to give me the best comparison to the current Cayman S and even advised me to not drive the base Cayman which they had on the lot at the time. He knew i wasn't in the market for a 911 and couldn't afford it. He just wanted me to have the most similar experience.

I thought he was just talk until we hit the road. This machine is extreme. Remember, I've a driven a friend's 996 turbo on twisties as well... so I can compare to that car and it behaved VERY different.