View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #407 (permalink)
Six
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z MB M6
Six is on a distinguished road

Got the harness in and finally got time to install it.

Install was easy, but I can't get the lock to disengage and the ACC to activate despite beating the hell out of the mechanism. The wheel turns fine, so could the lock be stuck in the disengaged position or is it normal for the wheel to turn and I should resume the beating?

Going to try some more (fingers crossed!)

EDIT: After some more "tapping" I discovered that one of the security screws was loose. I ended up taking the unit off. The lock was disengaged. I'm thinking about taking the thing apart...

EDIT2: Success!!

The lock, disengaged and removed from the Z, sat on my kitchen table as I poured over messageboard threads looking for a solution. The Internet informed me that the device should work if disengaged properly. Obviously mine was in the unlock position but still wasn't working.

I took it out to the Z and plugged it into the harness. It dangled and spun beneath the steering column, nonfunctional. I noticed some of the nasty yellow grease from the lock was smeared on the white leather seats - the HORROR! Getting a paper towel from the house, I wiped the offending lubricant from the cushion and, in spite, from the lock itself. In doing this I noticed how easily the locking mechanism moved. Out of frustration I grabbed the needle-nose pliers used to remove the second tamper-resistant screw and jammed them in and out of the Lock Set-Steering five or six times. I sighed and pushed the start button.

ACC!

Ecstatic I reached below the wheel and unplugged the red pigtails on the harness, disabling the lock. I started the car. I stopped the car.

I held my breath and pushed the start button once.

ACC!

Hooray!! A quick trip to the gas station to air up the tires and I've started five times now without issue.

Thanks x1000 ($?) to the help in this forum! You guys are amazing!

Last edited by Six; 10-14-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: It works!
Six is offline   Reply With Quote