View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #2499 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

I used to carry a G19, but 1/10 casings seemed to come back very near my face, and it limited my clothing at times. I had to dress to the gun on occasion and it stayed home more than it should have. I carried IWB in a Comp-Tac MTAC. This, I will carry in a CTAC. Here are my impressions so far.

M&P 9 Shield Impressions so far:

Quality is superb. This does not feel like a $450 small pistol. It feels like an H&K, or a SIG (one of the German one's). Solid, sleek (okay, a newer H&K), and durable.

The sights are not available with tritium inserts, but are highly visible even in poor lighting. If you can see your target, you can see your sights.

I wear a size 7 surgical glove and can BARELY get my pinkie situated on the grip with the 7-round magazines. The 8-round magazines defeat the purpose of this pistol and I recommend a larger firearm if you feel inclined to use them.

The trigger is...okay. I prefer the trigger on my last Glock 19 to this, and my father, who loves high-end 1911's because he is a nostalgic kind of guy who nonetheless prefers an M4 at the side of his bed, had the trigger as his only complaint "Needs a trigger job" was his synopsis. Me? I don't know if I agree. I think it is a bit heavier than I like--feels like 6-7#--and it is not crisp or smooth, but it feels like the kind of grit that a few thousand rounds will clean up. I would NOT! let this stop me from buying the pistol.

The Safety...yeah, it has one. However, there is no way it will accidentally be activated, and it comes off VERY readily with a thumb-sweep on the draw.

Accuracy...I produced a group about the size of my spread hand my second magazine through it at 7 yards in failing dusk lighting using 124gr NATO winchester ammunition. I am not on my A-game right now, and the pistol has plenty more in it. It shoots where I point, I just need to get used to pointing a sub-compact.

Recoil...very manageable. It felt easily as controlled as I remember my G19. I am very impressed! It uses an all metal dual recoil assembly with the mainspring being of flatwire design, and the inner spring normal round-coil.

ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote