View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #72 (permalink)
370Z Purist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z-T BS M6
370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Firehawk View Post
I'm not an idiot and you are taking this out of context. I was very OBVIOUSLY talking about this motor. I know what a harmonic dampener, balancer (whatever you feel like calling it) is, how it works, and what they look like. The VQ37VHR motors are internally balanced using counterweights int he crankshaft and DO NOT come with an external dampener. I've inspected my old crank pulley, it looks just like my lightweight pulley, just heavier. Some manufacturers do use both an internally balanced crank and an external dampener. A good example are the LS motors. My explanation is not copied and pasted, but I'll be more than happy to tell you your wrong by citing examples of how motors can be balanced. And if needed, I will out research you at every angle to backup my argument unless there is irrefutable evidence telling me I am wrong. I challenge you to try.

Edit: More food for thought. How do you spin a motor up to 7500 RPM and not balance it internally? How do you spin a motor at 7500 RPM and have a heavy A$$ dampener hanging off of it?
The Nissan Engineers answered this question for you.

I'm not saying your whole copy and pasted explanation is incorrect, what I am saying is that I do not believe an aftermarket crank pulley caused this failure by allowing resonance to occur in the engine.
I still believe that the crank pulley houses some dampening. The only way to tell definitively is to cut it apart.

As for why the motor exploded, it probably has a combination of issues, such as running full boltons with no tune, probably being driven into the ground, and the fact that the pulley was replaced.

"Since one of my brake light bulbs just went out, the forum told me that my piston rings are about to blow."