View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
mhcoss
Track Member

Drives: 2012 370Z SPORT M/T
mhcoss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
IMO, this sounds less like oil consumption and more like shoddy work by the maintenance tech.

The rest of the issues- "smoke", noise, etc, are more than likely moisture evap from the exhaust and the HR "hiss", based on what has been discussed so far.

OP, keep an eye on your oil level. I would consider a quart or a bit under that (the distance from L to H on the dipstick) "normal" for around 5k miles of driving. More than that would warrant more attention.
lol...

The car was running great until about two weeks ago... Then I started to notice strong smells of burning oil. Now a few weeks later it burned through most of its oil.. with only 2k miles between oil change. After 2k miles the oil shouldn't be dark black, something is definitely not right. I highly doubt this is all attributable so lube-x, as far as I can tell the only thing they did was put 0w30 in the car. (To be fair I asked for the best synthetic and in their minds it was 0w30.) 0w30 and 5w30 should both run well in the car. Do you guys hear the hiss I'm talking about when RPMS drop in your engines? It almost sounds like an aerosol spray, I know the engine is noisy but i've never heard this sound before.

Thanks for the replies, Lube-x had done a great job over the last year on all my other vehicles, I always used the same technician and trusted him. Obviously I won't be returning there.

as far as changing the oil myself, I don't have any real way of lifting the vehicle to get underneath for a proper job. How do you folks lift your Zs?

My main worry here is nissan will try to void my warranty, I am an American living in Canada, I bought the Z new and brought it to alberta but I am still the original owner. The warranty booklet clearly states that you must sell the vehicle AND register it out of country to void the warranty which I did not. We will see how it plays out, I am going to be taking it to the stealership soon to have an oil consumption test started. This may take a while to resolve as the car will be stored for the winter in the next few weeks.

Last edited by mhcoss; 10-08-2012 at 02:55 PM.
mhcoss is offline   Reply With Quote