View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrfreak View Post
why dont u guys have ur oil changes done at the dealership while u within warranty
Actually, it's not a bad idea to do so. They'll have a detailed record of every service and will make it harder to deny warranty claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhcoss View Post
Well, never thought this would happen to me but here I am.

Bought a brand new 2012 370 last April. Car has been a joy to drive since day one. Recently I noticed some odd odors coming from it at start up so I started it up and took a good look at the exhaust.

There is a nice plume of visible white smoke emitting from the tail pipes. Once the car reaches operating temps its subsides little. Car seems to drive fine but I notice some unusual noise from the engine.

If I slowly rev it up to around 2.5k and release the gas I hear an odd hissing sound come from the engine bay... I hear the same sound when the car shuts off.

The burning oil became painfully obvious when I checked my dipstick the other day, the first 6k miles it didn't burn oil at all so I stopped checking it so diligently. The car was pretty low on oil but not dry.

Can't tell you how disappointed I am in Nissan.. This may scare me away from ever buying another Nissan. I am going to take it to the stealership and see what they say I guess. Anyone ever hear of a new car burning oil resolve well?

EDIT:

Car has 8k miles now and has had 3 oil changes

OP, That smoke might just be moisture in the exhaust. Unless you monitor the levels and do the oil consumption test, it doesn't make sense to even worry about it. Also make sure you're measuring the oil in the same conditions every time...flat surface & cold (at least let cooled for 10-15mins).

One major issue is where you get your oil changed, if they can't even get the recommended grade right, who knows what else they messed up. I've had friends who worked at places like Valvoline, Jiffy Lube, etc....good guys, but they're idiots and most aren't even real mechanics. I can't even begin to tell you how terrible they really are. Do it yourself, find a performance shop or at the very least go to the dealership and have it done there. BTW, you can't tell how effective the oil is by just looking at it. You need to have an oil analysis done to really know if it's broken down from places like Blackstone Labs. It may be black in color, but that doesn't mean it's bad...it means its doing it's job and working as it should. To really figure this out, you need to be deligent and keep track of the oil level at least once a week and see if there is a drop. I would start by getting an oil change done properly if you haven't done so already. Who knows, some kid could have left the drain plug or oil filter loose....did I mention these lube-x places employ idiots.

Last edited by Cmike2780; 10-08-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote