View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Snakes709
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 Evo-X GSR
Snakes709 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC671 View Post
Geez, sorry to hear. So did the shop take any responsiblity for the motor? Are they helping you any or is this a its your fault type deal?
I was tuned by a guy down in the states that does e-tuning. Seemed like a good guy at first but few of his methods made me nervous so i questioned a few things. After that it was pretty smooth sailing. Once the engine popped i had no idea why it happend. I was at the drag strip that night for the first time on this setup. Wasnt hitting anywheres near the numbers i should have been. Stock i ran 13.5@100. DP, TP and air filter i ran 13.2@103. Evo's with boltons are mid 12's. So i should have been in the 11's for sure but i was only hitting 12.3@112 (hitting rev limit in 4th about 75-60ft before the finish. My last run my CEL came on. Checked everything out and it looked fine. None the less i told my buddies i was taking off to see what was wrong.

Half way home the engine died and wouldnt fire up. So i called a tow truck, asked for a flat bed and they sent a normal truck. Long story short about that, the tow truck driver didnt listen to me and cooked my tcase. They refuse to pay for the damage and i dont have the money or time to waste going to court over $1500.

So i thought the damage to the engine was from me. One of the other tuners on the evo forums asked to see my tune. Sent it to him and he confirmed that my tuner ****** up. At the same time there was a thread on the forum talking about my tuner. The tuner that looked over my tune, posted up what he found and i posted my thoughts on it. My tuner then emailed me asking me to call him. First of all, im in Canada and im not paying long distant fee's to call him when emails work just as good. Second of all, i was in the field with the army where cell reception was poor. I told him this and told him if he wants to discuss anything it can be over email. He denied blowing my engine up and i havent heard a word from him since.

Since then i was contacted by another Evo owner in Canada with the same exact issue. Motor blown, valve snapped and took the piston out. He sent his tune to the other tuner that looked at mine and our maps were nearly the same.

So the tuner refused to help with the engine and the tow company refused to pay for the damage they caused to my tcase. So its going to be about $5000-6000 in parts for my engine, $1000-1500 labour to rebuild the engine and $1500 to rebuild the tcase.