Thread: Navigation Trim
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Nillaz
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2012 370Z M6 Sport
Nillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3chhawk View Post
Custom roms will solve this.

Extending and remote mounting the power button will solve this.

Not much I can do about this but when they drop the price to $100 and $150, they are going to be pretty expendable.

This I can't comment on as I don't own the Nexus 7. Thanks for the heads up though, its definitely something I will look into.

What are your recommendations? It's tough to beat the price point, especially after Google cuts the prices in half. I'm definitely not doing anything that won't fit in the cubby and doesn't look factory and I want to maintain a double din head unit.
I completely agree on maintaining the aesthetics of your car and would never recommend putting some ridiculously sized screen in there. Sometimes bigger is most certainly not better.

If I was going to install a tablet in the nav pocket (I did toy with this idea for some time and seriously considered putting a Nexus 7 there for a bit) I'd probably have to go with the Galaxy Tab 2 with a custom rom (I'm not a fan of TouchWiz, especially when there are options like Cyanogen readily available). There is a stupid amount of support for the device, it has better physical build quality than the Nexus, a far superior audiophile grade DAC, and it has an SD card slot that supports at least 32GB cards.

The Tab 2 addresses all of my primary concerns with the exception of the power button, but that's going to be an issue with any tablet that's permanently mounted. The downside is that it can't compete on price and has slightly lower hardware specs. For myself I consider the price to be irrelevant (in this instance the price difference is practically throw away money, even after a Nexus price drop is taken into account) and the spec differences have little impact in real world use.
Nillaz is offline   Reply With Quote