Thread: Navigation Trim
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nillaz
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2012 370Z M6 Sport
Nillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond reputeNillaz has a reputation beyond repute

I have several issues with flush mounting a Nexus 7, which may or may not apply to you.

First, the locked portrait mode for the home screen isn't suitable for a landscape install. Assuming that you're not installing custom roms you can install custom launchers that will impact the awesome performance you get from using stock jelly bean or you can install a rotation control app on your device. Last I checked most of the rotation switchers cause some moderate screen tearing on the Nexus 7 and there are a few apps that simply don't perform well with it.

Which leads to my next issue....if and when you do manage to crash your nexus how do you perform a hard reboot when you have flush mounted your tablet in the nav cubby? You'll have to tear your dash apart to get access to the power button or wait for the battery to run dry...which will take several hours at best.

From a hardware standpoint the Nexus 7 has a flaw with the screen where the glass can become separated from the bezel. Some people report the issue right out of the box but others report that it isn't always apparent for awhile. I personally haven't had an issue with this yet but I certainly wouldn't want to continuously expose it to the rigors of vibration and the swings in temperature that you get in an automotive environment.

Lastly is just my personal opinion, but I consider the audio in the Nexus 7 to be substandard at best. Asus used a pretty crappy DAC in the Nexus 7 and it shows when hooked up to any kind of decent audio system. I consider it to be bearable for YouTube videos and whatnot, but I don't think I could bear to use it as a music source or for watching movies with any semblance of dynamic range. YMMV of course.

My feeling is that the Nexus isn't the best choice for a tablet in a car, but its your car and your tablet so you have to do what you think is best. I just think there may be better options available.
Nillaz is offline   Reply With Quote