View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
370Z Purist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z-T BS M6
370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog1250 View Post
The only sports cars I saw in that comparison were the Z, Porsche, and BRZ.

Like you all have said, the others are just "sporty" cars (aside from the TC).
Seats/Drivetrain/etc. don't warrant a sports car - I define it as built with intention for driving, not for being a people mover.

However I do feel RWD, 2 seater coupes are generally the purest defintion. And 911 backseats aren't real, children have a hard time fitting in there. I think they only do it for insurance purposes which is brilliant, as a 4 seater generally insures for less - thank you Porsche!
Same logic as the GTR! Except that fits actual people in the backseats a bit easier than a 911 might.

Since high horsepower engines became the norm, having a heavier car isn't the biggest issue anymore. Not all that long ago, super high displacement V8s had trouble making 400 horsepower. Sure, a lot (like, a LOT) for the time, but times have also changed... having an extra 200 pounds can be sort of made up for now, a bit easier than in the past.

Sitting in the backseat of a G35 coupe = impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
I think of that as more of a sporty GT, unless you get the convertible.
Mustangs are more so pony cars unless you get the 5.0 V8. Sure, fast, but is it really a sports car? Wikipedia's definition of a pony car makes perfect sense:

Pony car is an American class of automobile launched and inspired by the Ford Mustang in 1964. The term describes an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image.

I don't see the American revival of the muscle car so much a muscle car as it is a sporty car with a MASSIVE engine. But isn't that basically a muscle car? I suppose so.

Then we have grand tourers, or GT cars. Again, Wikipedia (yes, yes, not reliable, whatever):

A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a high-performance luxury automobile designed for long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.

e.g. G35, G37. Pretty much exactly a GT car.

By that logic, I suppose the Z is a perfect definition of a sports car, such as people hail the Miata for being the ideal sports car: lightweight, two seats, 50/50 weight distribution.

At the same time I don't think anyone really cares about the "technical" terms for cars anymore. Now it's just minivan, sports car/coupe, sedan/saloon, truck, etc. Well, no one cares except for fools like me who try to classify EVERYTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1600 View Post
You guys get way too caught up with the names and configuration. Who cares if it drives good?
Well. If it drives well.

For that reason, read above. The ultimatum, however, still stands... a car is better if it is a bit lighter, so having fewer seats and less weight makes for a faster, more responsive car. If your Dodge Caravan (one of the heaviest passenger vehicles in the world) still weighs 6500 pounds but makes 1000 horsepower, does it really matter since you can barely turn the thing? Even as a drag racer, less weight = more power (sort of).

"Since one of my brake light bulbs just went out, the forum told me that my piston rings are about to blow."

Last edited by 370Z Purist; 09-28-2012 at 12:36 PM.
370Z Purist is offline   Reply With Quote