View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
370Z Purist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z-T BS M6
370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvl View Post
*cough* Convertible *cough*. That's one option.

There is cost and engineering involved obviously, and one of the big this is there needs to be space for it all. Given the shape of the roof and how it blends to the glass hatch, I think something with motors would be rather limited in size for useful ness.

I'm a child of the 80's and have a soft spot for the T tops of yonder years (though didn't love the leaky seals in some), but I don't see that coming back unfortunately

- b
Generally speaking, a car that comes out as a convertible typically does not have a sunroof/moonroof whatever (isn't the moonroof the one that technically opens while sunroofs are just glass windows?). That and you have to consider the obviously performance oriented nature of the coupe, which has been lightened quite a bit, even though you have to consider it's still 3300 pounds wet. Less weight on top = better, lower center of gravity. Plus, seeing that guy who installed the glass roof has to have the glass come out in a spoiler-style arrangement; most moonroofs I've seen push back into the roof, not come out of it.

I doubt it would actually be a rigidity problem because most of the roll tends to happen across the towers and the chassis. Perhaps it may actually be because the ability of the car to do 0.95 G's on a skidpad would create enough torque and moment to either pop out a roof mounted glass panel or shatter it altogether. (EDIT: I guess that actually would be a rigidity issue... lol)

That said, I hate convertibles and cannot stand them. Retractable hard tops look fine, I guess, but I would never use them. Always loved a hardtop.

"Since one of my brake light bulbs just went out, the forum told me that my piston rings are about to blow."

Last edited by 370Z Purist; 09-28-2012 at 09:27 AM.
370Z Purist is offline   Reply With Quote