View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #57 (permalink)
Japanjay
Track Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370z MB M6
Japanjay is on a distinguished road

Sat in an ST today. Wasnt impressed in the slightest for it being the "coveted" ST version. I actually had really high hopes for it since after seeing top gear beat the snot out of one.

1: I am a size 32 waist. Good luck getting anyone bigger in there. How the hell Jeremy Clarkson got his *** in there I dont know, but in all honesty I dont think they used the factory seat. But all in all really nice seat, hugs a little more then the Z's which I already like alot. Much Much better then the mustangs in reagrds to the leg boolsters and side bolster, felt like a true racing seat.

2: Was totally put off by how high the seat was in relation to the peddles. Felt like minivan height. The lower half of my bicep was at the window seal vs the middle of the ball of my shoulder in the Z. Didnt feel sporty at all. Leg angle was like at 50-60*. Legs not even in the slightest straight out in front of you. Very very down and slightly away

3. Didnt get to start it up, but wasnt a fan of how the manual gear box felt just sitting there. Reverse was up and to the left.

4. Dash didnt really flow with the center console, and also came across very perpendicular to the doors, no really wrap around feel. Very similar to the complaint I have about the mustangs. Neither feels like a cockpit.

5. What back seat it did have, need to be a double amputee missing both legs to sit in the back. Plus they were very very flat across. IMO each side needed to have more depth in the back so you sit more at an angle similar to how the 911's are. No definite seperation from each seat in the middle.

6. For a hot hatch, has to be hands down the smallest hatch area I have every seen.

7. Really like the exhaust design.

8. Nothing really special with the brakes, which caught me off guard. Was expecting something a little more than the same look of our base brakes.

9. Under the hood. Another disapointment. Why are manufactures hiding the motor under so much freakin plastic? Huge plastic cover with a stock crinkly black intake tube coming out form under it to a stock air box.

All in all I walked in practically giddy to see one and seriously walked away really disapointed. Plus the dealer marked it up an additional ~$1.5k for it being "rare". MSRP with all the extras was ~$28.5k, dealer wanted just over $30k. $5k more than the Z. So much wrong with that car, I dont know how ford dicked it up, but then again I dont know if it had the option for upgraded brakes, but that still wouldnt make up for the numerous other short falls. Felt like I was sitting in a ford minivan or ranger that was mildly lowered and had racing seats in it. Nothing like how a "sports car" sports car is suppose to feel.

I honestly dont even think driving one would make it feel any different either. Super weird upright minivan sitting feel, total opposite of confidence inspiring.

Last edited by Japanjay; 09-25-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Japanjay is offline   Reply With Quote