View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #32 (permalink)
ChrisSlicks
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
Lot's of useful info on this thread, but it feels like some of the info isn't 100% accurate. It's a bit hard to believe drilled rotors are as bad as some people make them out to be considering it's still widely used in a lot of high end sports cars. I've seen drilled rotors crack, but I've also seen solid rotors crack. I think it really has a lot do with the manufacturer, conditions and usage. For track worthyness, it really depends on how much track use you're actually doing. What's best for the track isn't necessary the best for the street. For a lot of people, 2 piece rotors are overkill. They look awesome and drool worthy, but kind of pointless 95% of the time for a multi purpose car. A dedicated track car is a different story.
Almost all rotors crack at some point under heavy heat fatigue conditions. A full weight track Z generates a massive amount of heat in the front brakes and you would need lots of airflow (at least two 3" ducts) to keep them at an ideal temperature. The issue with drilled rotors is that they tend to crack sooner than a solid rotor would at the same conditions, and the small cracks that start off in the solid rotors play connect-the-dots on the drilled ones. The OEM drilled rotors on the Z06 are a perfect example of this. If you can keep the temps low enough then drilled rotors would be just fine, it's the thermal expansion and cooling that is the problem.

I also agree that 2-piece rotors are overkill on a multi-purpose car, cost savings are a myth, and full floating systems are noisy and problematic for the street. You can tell if a car is show or track by looking at the calipers, if the paint is bright and clean then it is show, if the paint is discolored and weird, then it is track ... except for Mike's because he powdercoats them after each event