View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Rockhound
Base Member

Drives: '13 Z Touring
Rockhound will become famous soon enoughRockhound will become famous soon enough

Troll or not, it's not that terrible of a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKYStormFront
how the Z drives and feels and delivers the power is what makes it a great sports car, not just the stats.
I agree wholeheartedly (I own a Z, after all). I do find it funny, though, that when you reverse the situation and start talking about a car like the FR-S being underpowered or slow, FR-S enthusiasts/owners would likely use a similar response to this criticism (…“there’s more to the FR-S than sheer HP & acceleration stats”).

Truth is, when you have the stats to back you up, they’re fun to quote. When you don’t they’re easy to refute and excuse. I've been a stats junkie since I first started reading car mags as a kid, and while I agree that they only tell part of the story (look how legendary the Miata is) that doesn't stop me from commiting them to memory.

With all that said, the Z doesn’t need any excuses – it’s a top-notch sports car with great performance and amazing styling (that’s why I bought one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780
It's an old way of thinking about performance.
Perhaps, but it's one of the few performance stats you can legally test on the open road within the speed limit (that is, unless you want to test the 1/4mi time of a Smart ForTwo). My old 2002 G20, as much as I loved it, was an absolute slug (0-60: ~10 sec). "But at least it handles well" is the G20-owner's mantra - but that only gets you so far. When you get dusted at a red light by a Versa, that's just wrong for a car with "sport sedan" pretensions.

Again, though, I don't think the Z has anything to hide within the realm of 0-60 testing. It sits right where it should given its power/weight and pricing. The new Accord's acceleration is impressive, given the car's genre and price point, but that shouldn't be viewed as threatening to a Z enthusiast.
Rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote