Thread: Oil temps
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK370Z View Post
Answer me this question, are you going to be tracking your car? If not, I don't see the need for a $800 oil cooler. Put some good synthetic oil, maybe a slightly larger than stock oil filter and cruising at 220 isn't a bad thing. It won't harm your engine. I drive 220 all the time, it's fine. AND some of these new engines actually LIKE to run a little hot. But this topic will blow up if discussed in depth (and possible closure of the thread). So, my suggestion will be NO cooler if you don't track. Thanks

I have the cooler but only for occasional tracking or events... Before i installed it, I tracked my car track hard for 20 minutes and only saw 250 degrees. I was @ 6100 miles when i did it 3 months ago on a 83 degree morning.
The VQ runs much hotter while being broken in. Wait till 5k miles to know where you are really at with oil temps. I doubt you will need it as a DD. And unless you're running more than 5 laps on a fairly long complex track? You may or may not need it depending on the weather the day you track.

Don't be afraid to get up to 260 degrees a few times after broken in to see how your car reacts to stress... You can only get some advice here. Put your car through the ringer without mods to know your individual needs and improve them from there...

Lastly, some of that hesitation can be resolved with an intake.

Last edited by UNKNOWN_370; 09-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.
UNKNOWN_370 is offline   Reply With Quote