View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #220 (permalink)
indyn
Base Member

Drives: 11 BMW 335i 6AT
indyn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LafitteZ View Post
your motor from the factory is the most reliable. opening up and installing these cams will bring the level of reliability down. if reliability is what you seek run things within limits and make sure the person doing the work is competent and make sure you yourself has a level of competency that you know what limits are. A turbo motor at a small amount of boost on a oem motor is more reliable then tearing the heads down and replacing the exaust cams or cams in general.
modifying cams is not a new thing, even in Nissan motors they have been doing this mod for a long time. Why would opening up the heads (which I don't think you need to in this case) cause any problems?? Look at the VQ35 motors, ppl have opened them up more than once changing cams, springs, valves, etc. When someone builds the motor they have to disassemble lot of components including the VVEL assembly and have been reassembled back using the same VVEL. Of course its not a Cold air intake you're installing but shouldn't be a problem if done right.
Of course its a PITA changing the cams but it is doable and more reliable than running FI.
From what I read NavyBoy is taking it to a Nissan dealership, am sure they would've someone skillful enough to open it otherwise they would've turned it down. Good luck, looking forward to the results.
indyn is offline   Reply With Quote