View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25
Default BE SAFE when working on your car - A Sobering Reminder

I just want to share this with the community so everyone can benefit from my experience.

I was jacking up the Z to swap the brake pads for a track day tomorrow. I've done this a million times, but I recently bought a new jack that can lift the car about twice as high as my old one. I was jacking up the left rear corner using a pinch rail adapter (like a hockey puck with a groove in it but I bought the read deal) when the opposite rear tire slipped sideways, the adapter must have slipped off the jack plate, and the car jumped away from me and fell off the jack. Luckily I was far away from the car while using the long floor jack and the tires were still on. But it was a very eye opening moment and very easy to see how people get crushed when working under their cars. I think my mistake was jacking one corner of the car too high before raising the others

So, ALWAYS be safe when working on your car. Don't be lazy. Don't cut corners. Always triple check your jack point as you're jacking the car up. Always use jack stands and place the wheels under the car as well if you've removed them. Don't be under the car unless you have to be.

Here's the carnage which I now get to have the body shop take care of next week. Fortunately she was already going in for a repaint of the roof and hood since some of the parking garage at work crumbled and hit the top of my car. The Z has a black cloud over her right now...but I'm still going to Blackhawk tomorrow .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (701.8 KB, 54 views)