View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #68 (permalink)
Iceagetlc
Base Member

Drives: '11 STI Limited S2
Iceagetlc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvl View Post
1. marketing
2. Affordable segment

Its going to sell more units. Much more then a Z. If you were in the aftermarket business (a highly competitive one at that), you will develop for your market.

If you were to specialize in say a low volume car like the Z34, you will price your product to recoup costs. Ala 'BMW/Porsche turbo kits are so expensive'.

Can I get a 'duh' from the congregation?.

Small flat for is going to be easier to package a FI system then a tight V6, isn't it? its going to be less time and money to get going. Does this really surprise anyone?

Doesn't meant the Z is bad...I have a big honkin' V6 with torque and a 7yr warranty. I also have in the past put a well matched turbo on a little 4 banger and ran it 100K as a street car with no rebuild (it was a very stout OEM block from the 80's...go mazda)

With a BRZ, I wouldn't want to spend 27K on a new car to blow the warranty on a turbo kit (say 36K invested) only to not know the long term ramifications of running say 12 PSI on pump gas on a new engine with no proven track record.

Kudos to the early adopters who are willing to take those risks and have 5-8K for a new long block or rebuild budgeted. I think its very interesting from an engineering standpoint to see how far you can push the stock block.

I just don't look at it as overwhelming evidence of how good the stock block is, nor that its a slam dunk these kits are going to run 100K with no engine issues. No hate...just well placed caution.

- b
If ANY 4 or even 6 cylinder stock N/A car can run 30 pounds for 100k I'd be impressed. There is always a level of uncertainty in the tuning world, if there wasn't then we'd all be twin turbo cuz YOLO.