View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #86 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1600 View Post
The handling came from you spending $60K on the car......

4. Myth: The "ideal" weight distribution is 50/50: The vehicle has the same weight on both the front and rear axles.

Truth: While most sport-oriented cars do have weight distributions close to 50/50, there's much more to proper handling than just distribution. A car with 50/50 weight distribution would handle poorly if most of the weight was at the ends of the car (i.e., ahead of the front axle and behind the rear axle).

Far more important than weight distribution is the location of the center of gravity and polar moment of inertia. (The center of gravity is where a giant could balance the car on one finger. Polar moment of inertia refers to whether the vehicle's weight is concentrated in one location — which makes for a responsive car — or spread throughout the vehicle.) Something else against 50/50 being the ideal weight distribution: Most open-wheel Formula-style racecars, which many people would hold up as being the best-handling type of racecars, have 60 percent or more of their weight on the rear tires.

Source: Edmunds
My Z06 did have a lot more of its weight close to the center. That helped a lot, I think. The 370Z just scares you to push it on long sweeping corners. The Z06 bred confidence. On tight corners, the 370Z feels like a pig to me, although it is easier to park because of the tighter turning radius and the driver's position in the vehicle.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote