View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Smokin'
Base Member

Drives: Test Driving
Smokin' is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmen View Post
I've wanted one ever since I saw a 350Z next to me in Miami. The looks are fantastic, the 370z really stands out. I booked a test drive at home (in sweden) and drove a black 2012 version for about 20 mins. It was hard to do it justice because of all the traffic.

Manual gearbox - seemed clunky. I didn't like it much. I've read reviews claiming the automatic does the engine more justice, does it?

Noise. My god. Ok, I've never owned a performance car before so what do I know, but jesus it's loud. Swedish roads are not in great shape, but the road noise was very much an issue. I'm not sure I could cope with this car alone, I'd need an A-to-B carrier for transportation and shopping or lose my hearing after 500 miles....

If you had the choice between a used Porsche Cayman S, BMW Z4 35is, 335i convertible or M3 convertible or a spanking new 370z which would you go for...

Anyway, I appreciate any input. I wouldn't want to pass up a great car based on it being loud...
Newbie here too just recently in the market for a new toy as well, and looks like I'm haunting the same kinda dealerships you are. So as part of the process I just had a couple new 370Z's out for a test drive; a 2013 Coupe 6-speed+sport and a 2012 roadster 7AT+sport. Forgetting the whole roof thing for a moment, it was quite a different driving experience in both. Mainly in that I was very surprised at just how nice the 7AT felt from a performance car perspective. Seat of the pants it did indeed feel faster (for what seat of the pants is worth) and the car felt no less handicapped over a good manual box, again from a street driving fun toy focus. And part of that was because, as you noted, I too felt the manual box was something less than great. It was clunky/heavy with a weird resonance felt through the clutch/shifter that was a bit off-putting, but which I chalked up to probably just being a new car with very few miles on it kinda thing. But I've owned/driven/tracked manuals in various performance cars my whole life (and I'm no spring chicken anymore LOL), so I have some small experience to draw on there. So, surprisingly, with those two specific cars I tested, I'd have to give the initial nod to the slushbox version.

Re "noise", it didn't stand out or seem an issue as you described. Not Lexus quiet, but really didn't seem excessive to me. Only thing related to that was the exhaust note could have a little more presence IMO , but that would be easily fixed via aftermarket no doubt.

Didn't try the BT function, so can't comment on that. LOVED the "cooled" seats in the roadster though..hey it was a hot sunny day LOL.

You mentioned the Z4 35is and that is the other car that is left on my short list right now. Loved everything about it, but is it worth the extra $$$ - that's my personal sticking point right now.

Last edited by Smokin'; 09-06-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote