Thread: 2012 NFL Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #329 (permalink)
shadoquad
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: .
shadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo89 View Post
RIP Art Modell.... the former Browns/Ravens owner died this morning at 4 am of natural causes

Art Modell Passes Away At 87
Yeah, I'm sad to see Art go. He was a true innovator in the NFL, and a progressive man in terms of race. He was always at the forefront and rarely afraid to put himself or his team on a limb to make things happen. When owners doubted that Monday Night Football would work, Art insisted on the Browns being used in the first game.

I feel for the fans in Cleveland when Art moved the team, I really do. But he had little choice, and at least he was good enough to leave the franchise and its history in Cleveland. That's more than I can say for the Irsay family.

He helped integrate the league. He even drafted Ernie Davis, knowing of his cancer diagnosis, and paid for his treatment. When the NFL and AFL merged, there was a numerical imbalance between the conferences. Art moved the Browns into the AFC no problem.

He wasn't a man without flaws, but he did a lot of good for the league.

I will miss him. He brought football back to Baltimore in spite of the league commissioner's resistance.