View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
shadoquad
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: .
shadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmen View Post
Manual gearbox - seemed clunky. I didn't like it much. I've read reviews claiming the automatic does the engine more justice, does it?
The automatic is generally putting up faster times and is pretty fun, but if you love manuals, you'll want to get the manual anyway. I've got one and wouldn't have it any other way. I say test both.

Quote:
Noise. My god. Ok, I've never owned a performance car before so what do I know, but jesus it's loud. Swedish roads are not in great shape, but the road noise was very much an issue. I'm not sure I could cope with this car alone, I'd need an A-to-B carrier for transportation and shopping or lose my hearing after 500 miles.
Measures can be taken to reduce the noise, such as DynaMat and quieter tires, but it is a noisy car.
Quote:
I also connected my iPhone via bluetooth and called a friend to check that function. I heard him fine but he said I came through horribly. Sounded like talking out of a tin can. Unfortunate since I was hoping for a good hands-free integration. Maybe it was just that one time.
Don't know what to tell you. My mother's got the same system in her G37 and I usually hear her quite well when she calls.
Quote:
But, driving-wise, hair on fire bad-*** fun which is what I came hoping for. I'm in the market for a fun and impractical sports car to thrill me for 1-2 years. No kids, no wife, not even a dog. It's readily available at good prices in Germany thanks to the cheap euro, much less than similar cars from porsche and BMW.
She's a thrill a minute
Quote:
If you had the choice between a used Porsche Cayman S, BMW Z4 35is, 335i convertible or M3 convertible or a spanking new 370z which would you go for?
The Z, but I'm biased.
Quote:
I've emailed the sales guy to get an idea of what the cost of ownership is, service intervals and so on. Any major snags to expect? As a brand, Nissan is pretty reliable isn't it? Much like Honda.
I don't know what year you're looking at and what kind of driving you intend to do. If you're going to track days or planning to drive hard, you'll want to invest in better brake fluid and pads, probably better transmission fluid, and if it's a model from before 2012, you'll want to look at an oil cooler. There is also an issue with fuel starvation if you take hard sweeping right turns on low fuel on a race track if the fuel is under a quarter tank. Keep the car topped off or don't drive it that hard is all I can suggest for that.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but in sweden cars like this tend to lose value quite quickly. The market for them is not great to begin with and people tend to stick with the well-known models and brands. In the segment, I think the 370z is a bit of an outsider. I've yet to see one on the roads here at least, but I've seen three GT-Rs so far.
It will depreciate rapidly from new, but they hold their value ok after initial depreciation.
Quote:
Another question, would the roadster be possible to use during the winter or is the soft top more for autumn/spring protection?
That would be a question for roadster owners. I know some have had issues with the top, but I know quite a few who drive theirs year round, so I don't know.
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote