View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
ryan3994
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370z (White)
ryan3994 is on a distinguished road
Default 7k mi. NEW TRANSMISSION

About 4 month ago I purchased my brand new 2012 z. The car is my daily and is driven hard every once in a while (drifting/spirited driving). From day 1 I always thought the gear box was a little bit more 'clunky' than its supposed to be. This being my first manual car, I just assumed it was normal for the gears to be a little rough. Weeks after i bought the car, I was coming home from a buddies house and was turning onto the highway. I was shifting into 2nd from 1st and as I lifted my foot off the clutch I realized it was stuck all the way in, to the floor. SCARED THE SHITT out of me! I thought maybe it was just something I did wrong.. seeing as I had just learned how to drive stick, so I moved on. A little while after that (1k+ miles) I started to notice the clutch having trouble into 1st and 2nd. At higher RPMs it would be a challenge to shift into 2nd without some jerking, and sometimes the RPMs would jump before shifting into gear. I thought maybe it was just my lack of experience on what is known to be a 'hard to master' clutch. At 7k I began to hear/feel a grind into 5th. I immediately took her to my dealer to get it looked at. I get a call from the dealer the next day telling me a new trans was on the way. =O I dropped the car off on a Monday night. I got her back at lunch on Wednesday. I was very curious to see how different the gears/clutch would feel. I jumped in and started driving and wow.. HUGE difference. like night and day, the gears are like butter now, its so much less noisy, and my 1st-2nd shifts are like clockwork. What bothers me is that the service people at my dealership would not give me a straight answer as to what actually went wrong with the trans. All they would say is it was an internal failure... oh thanks, lots of help there... I guess it doesn’t really matter, my baby is back to 100%.. well it never really was at 100% to begin with, but its there now so what everr.
ryan3994 is offline   Reply With Quote