View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
DLSTR
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 21Supra 2.0/22 M240i
DLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
I did my first change at about 1250 miles. I used the Nissan ester oil and a Mobil 1 #110 filter. The Nissan ester oil isn't that great and was almost $14 a quart at the dealer after tax. At the 5,000 mark I switched to Redline 5W-30 and a new Mobil 1 filter and have run that exclusively ever since. I now have about 27K miles on the car and it is 3 years old this week so I'm not piling a lot of miles on it. I only go 5K oil change intervals, probably overkill but I like to err on the side of caution. I have had 3 Blackstone analysis' done and the Redline oil has trended nicely in the VQ37 engine.
You can get a case of Redline delivered to your door, no tax & free shipping from Amazon for a just under $11 per quart. If you don't want to go to a boutique oil, the Pennzoil Ultra has an outstanding reputation and can often be found on sale. Either way these engines run hot and are hard on oil so I wouldn't recommend pushing OCI's much past 5000 miles. It's a pretty exotic sports car and you shouldn't expect the cost of ownership to be the same as a new Altima. And learn to do your own changes. It's not rocket surgery.
5000 on synthetic is nothing. I just did 8000 on Mobil1 5-30 and they said(Blackstone), 9000 was no problem. This on the Autobahn, high revs, mountains, city traffic and daily driver as well. I hate down time and 5000 changes are a waste of synthetic. The standard over here is 15000km or just over 9000miles(9320) at the Nissan dealer who uses Castrol 5-30 synth.

Frankly the cost of ownership shouldnt be much more considering the car is low maint. The tires are different story. Its just a car.