View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dwight Frye
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '09 Tour/Sport/6MT
Dwight Frye will become famous soon enough

I did my first change at about 1250 miles. I used the Nissan ester oil and a Mobil 1 #110 filter. The Nissan ester oil isn't that great and was almost $14 a quart at the dealer after tax. At the 5,000 mark I switched to Redline 5W-30 and a new Mobil 1 filter and have run that exclusively ever since. I now have about 27K miles on the car and it is 3 years old this week so I'm not piling a lot of miles on it. I only go 5K oil change intervals, probably overkill but I like to err on the side of caution. I have had 3 Blackstone analysis' done and the Redline oil has trended nicely in the VQ37 engine.
You can get a case of Redline delivered to your door, no tax & free shipping from Amazon for a just under $11 per quart. If you don't want to go to a boutique oil, the Pennzoil Ultra has an outstanding reputation and can often be found on sale. Either way these engines run hot and are hard on oil so I wouldn't recommend pushing OCI's much past 5000 miles. It's a pretty exotic sports car and you shouldn't expect the cost of ownership to be the same as a new Altima. And learn to do your own changes. It's not rocket surgery.