View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
DIGItonium
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Z34-TT 6MT
DIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond repute

Bringing this topic back... it was barely over 100F yesterday, and I noticed a couple of things:
  • When ambient temps are below 100F with normal driving, peak oil temp is 205F. Hard driving, it's close to 220F. Water temps are good.
  • When ambient temps are around 100F and above, water temps start to climb when oil temps are close to 220F. This is not from driving hard either. When I turn off the car and let it settle for a few minutes and start it up, water temp indicator climbs a couple points higher. At the extreme, it'll be close to the Hot zone if I let it sit for awhile.
  • To make matters worse, oil temp pegged 240F with water temps nearing the Hot zone when I let it idle for several minutes while A/C was running. I pretty much got hung up talking to a friend while letting the car idle. I heard the idle drop for a little bit, and it smelled like burnt oil. Once I took off and got it on the freeway, it took several minutes for the oil temps to drop to 205F or so and water temps returning to normal range. It was easy to see it bounce back and forth an additional point on the gauge.

When the car was stock, I remember seeing the oil temps skyrocketing while stuck in traffic for long periods. Of course, with the turbos, everything heats up quite a bit.