View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #28 (permalink)
ummie4
Base Member

Drives: 09 Fairlady Touring
ummie4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dP3NGU1N View Post
IMO your surfaces are all over the place. Turn on zebra stripes and double check your surface boundaries particularly where the hood and the windshield meet and on the rear fenders before the wheel. If I were judging the rendering I would dock you points on those aspects.

Do you do 3d models for a living or just as a hobby? Ask yourself if you'd put it into production yourself as an actual product. Lowering the roofline has improved your proportions considerably but if you really want to win a competition against professional modelers I would suggest starting a second draft with a sketch in mind. As it stands it looks like you dove straight into solidworks without a sketch or any kind of orthographic or reference (thus the unrefined surfaces and off proportions).
Thanks for the advise. I do use solidworks for a living, however I use it for machine design. I don't get into surfacing much at all, although I have an interest in it. I thought this project would be a fun excuse to try it out and test my skills! The areas you talked about can be smoothed out and blended better. I was going for the look that is was carved out of wood. I didn't want this to look like a real car as the competition is to design a PWD car. As Gixxer pointed out it looks like a car generic type Z car from the movie Cars. This is exactly what I was going for. I have started another draft folloing your advise. I'll post it when I get it to a worthy point.
ummie4 is offline   Reply With Quote