View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
bvl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: MB Roadster (sold)
bvl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleZ View Post
Nice, I think im going to stick with regular for the first couple. what kind of oil would the dealer use? should i even go to the dealer? i cant do it myself im in my last year with roomates...
Dealer will buy in bulk. Havoline or Quaker State 5/30 for example. Nothing wrong with it, good for 3-5K intervals which most cars will do if they are using Nissan recommended short intervals.

As others have noted: this is a huge topic with no consensus. One general fact is oil can go a lot longer then you think for most conditions based on UOA's performed at labs.

If you want to go synthetic, go for it. I run it as cheap insurance myself and have done so for the last 18 years on all my cars. While under warranty I will be using dealers for the Z and the wife's car (Cayman) until I go back to doing it myself.

I use 6mo changes on the Z to keep it within warranty spec otherwise I would do 7500mi-10K (based on UOA's with Blackstone) or 1y intervals whichever first. uring.

I take a 5 qt jug of Pennzoil Ultra (Walmart, $27) and put it in the passenger seat. I pay the dealer to change the oil and use Nissan filter. They take $8 or so off the cost of an oil change for my effort. My local dealer service advisors have no idea about Ester oil yet my method is still less expensive then an Ester change, and it uses a product I personally want in the car. Win Win.

Don't be afraid to BYO oil. Just needs to meet S rating and weight specs as per Nissan and your owners manual so you can use just about any quality 5/30 out on the market.

If you run low miles and just want to change it every 3 months personally stick with dealer 5/30 as 3K miles on oil is nothing.

- b