View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
370Z Purist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z-T BS M6
370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleZ View Post
Nice, I think im going to stick with regular for the first couple. what kind of oil would the dealer use? should i even go to the dealer? i cant do it myself im in my last year with roomates...
The dealer uses a basic oil, probably some generic drum they get. Everyone calls it dino but I'm pretty damn sure actual pure dino does not exist anymore. The stuff is way too crude to use in modern engines.

The dealer will shaft you hard. They quoted me 105 dollars for a change with Ester Oil and their regular Nissan rebranded filter (I believe most rebrands are similar to old FRAMs, which use terrible paper media with plastic reinforcement: not suitable for any car. may have changed, though).

I really think you should be able to do an oil change. Buy six quarts of your favorite oil and a decent filter like Purolator. It takes all of 30 minutes and maybe 70 dollars for your first change. Maybe get a magnetic oil drain plug and a filter magnet, if you're really paranoid. Hopefully you're not like some people I know who live in areas where you actually cannot work on your car unless it is in a closed garage or if you're in a parking complex that does not allow any loitering.

Z1 Motorsports sells oil change kits at reasonable, sane prices.

"Since one of my brake light bulbs just went out, the forum told me that my piston rings are about to blow."