View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
370Z Purist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z-T BS M6
370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all

Run what you like. A common choice is Redline.

Some things to remember, generally speaking:

If you plan to run low miles but longer periods of time, like me, you want to at least invest in a good filter. I personally do Redline with K&N filters. Purolator PureOne is a good choice too, since it has a larger volume (and more filtering media, although not necessarily better, although it definitely can't be that bad). I drive less than 5000 miles a year and I've owned my zed for three years and have 13000 miles. It works for me so I've kept at it. Always used K&N filters but ran Nissan Ester Oil, Royal Purple, and Redline, with Redline being run the most. A friend of mine does mass spectroscopy and he can do basic oil analysis for me. I have never bothered to analyze my oil, though. I drive my zed like I stole it and do a good amount of both highway and city miles. I've yet to track the car, so it's never seen the kind of destructive wear that a track does on a car.

Likewise I've seen someone's oil analysis from this forum some time ago and they ran 5xxx miles over a 13 month period. No idea where their car was located, if the miles were mostly highway or city, or if it ever saw blazing heat, winter temperatures, or just mild weather. The analysis actually told them to run the oil for a longer period of time before doing a change. Don't remember what oil they used, or what filter they used.

Here's a popular place to do oil analysis: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Like I said, do what you like. Oil threads are one of the most dreaded threads on this forum and I've seen them come and go for four years now. There's never a single consensus and the OP generally just ends up going with whatever opinion sounded most informed or they gave up and did whatever.

Also, if you end up being unable to form an opinion, just use Nissan's Ester Oil and call it a day.

"Since one of my brake light bulbs just went out, the forum told me that my piston rings are about to blow."

Last edited by 370Z Purist; 09-04-2012 at 01:27 AM.