View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #631 (permalink)
crazyyankfan
Base Member

Drives: 11 Nissan 370Z 6MT
crazyyankfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelonson View Post
I changed my oil about 2 weeks ago and poured exactly 5.28 Quarts of Mobil 1 oil. I let it drain about 25 minutes before I poured the oil. Today after a 1 hour drive I let the car sit for about 2 hours and when I checked the dipstick, the oil level is on the H and can't tell but think its actually higher than that. Did I put too much oil? I thought this amount would be ok. Please help, I have noticed higher oil temperatures than before, I used to barely reach 220 and now I regularly reach that. Is it because of too much oil?
If anything, more oil should provide lower oil temp or I should say it should take longer for oil temp to rise if there are more oil. Basic chemistry. You shouldn't wait for 2 hours to check the dip stick because after 2 hours of waiting, it would defeat the purpose of running the engine prior to oil check. 10-15 minutes is more than enough.

If the line sits exactly at H mark, you should be fine. 220 F is still within the OK range. A prolonged highway drive can get this car up to 240, so I think you're good.
crazyyankfan is offline   Reply With Quote