View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #49 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
Do you notice it in the front or rear?
Both, it just has horrible rebound control. My Z06, when it hit a bump, I felt the bump, and that was it. In my 370Z, I hit a bump, and then it catches air (compared to the Z06). I have provoked TC at 80mph on the freeway hitting dips with cruise-control on it's so bad. It's like a damn pogo-stick. Bouncy bouncy bouncy. Needs better shocks, I just don't feel like spending the $$ on them right now because then I would obsess over the poor weight dist. Then I would obsess over something else. Screw it. It's a cheap sporty coupe with a nice interior and great styling, and I feel like I got my money's worth with it. Better than a cheap supercar with a junk interior (considering I don't do HPDE's), lol. No regrets, just a few critiques.

After 10K miles experience in my 270Z, I think Nissan needs to:

-Get the car a LOT closer to 50/50 weight dist.
-Fix the rebound control issues. (Maybe NISMO is better?)
-tighten up the front end so that it feels crisper turning into corners. (Maybe the stiffer NISMO fixes that, I have not driven one).

No, I still do not wish I had bought a mustang 5.0 instead. The interior and styling of the 370Z make up for the BOSS's better handling and more acceleration. I consider my 370Z a nice, comfortable car first, and a sporty car second. If I wanted raw performance, I would have kept the Z06.

My largest performance complaint regarding my 370Z is the poor weight distribution. It is not 53/47. I weighed it. It is way worse. More like 55-56/44-45, based on DOT scales with me in the car (190#) and a full tank of gas. My Z06 was within about half a percent or less of 50/50 in the same configuration. It felt WAY better in the corners. That is the only thing I really miss about it. I mean, the power is nice, but you get used to it. Confidence in the corners and being able to more precisely place the car with gas/brake is something I miss.

With the 370Z, I feel like you enter the corner at a certain speed lightly on the brakes, and accelerate. If the corner is longer than you intended---suck. If it's shorter---you lose exit velocity. With my Z06, I entered the corner lightly on the brakes and could either stay that way, or I could balance with the throttle, or I could balance with the throttle and then lift a little, or...

With the 370Z, if you are in a long corner and balancing with the throttle---that means accelerating. When you get off the throttle because you are approaching tire-adhesion limits, you are then going way too fast for the shitty 55/45 balance the car has static, which is more like 58/42 coasting in gear, and you will not like what is probably going to happen.

Take into account that I am not a pro, and have only a few days of intense HPDE instruction, but this is what I take away from each car. The 370Z takes a lot more planning with a corner. The z06, you can plan as you go. It was a very forgiving car and would always ask you "Hey...I'm about to do something uncool, you sure?" The 370Z, it feels like it would say "Hey, you're going too fast now, because you had to go fast to make me happy, but now I'm uncomfortable with going this fast. Either you ride this out and hope your tires are better than you can reasonably expect, or let off and watch me rock your world."

Rebound control? It will matter a lot less to me when I leave LA and get away from our crap roads. Weight dist. will always suck, unless I need drastic driving help and am "doing it wrong".

Last edited by ImportConvert; 08-29-2012 at 12:42 AM.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote