View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Alstann
Track Member

Drives: 12 PW 370z 6MT Sport
Alstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naenyn View Post
So after a bit of reading, it looks like CentraFuse is pretty awesome.. and it would require running Windows (Gah!) on the Car PC. Sooo that rules out the Raspberry Pi.

Any thoughts on hardware for a Car PC for a 370Z that'd fit (at least the screen) in the compartment above the car stereo? I'd like to keep the head unit in place, although I might replace it somewhere down the line.

Thoughts?
Lilliput sells bare frame touch screens that are 7 inches diagonal, and they would fit the cubby hole just fine. The only thing you would have to do is find a fabricator to custom fit the bare screen to the cubby hole, and to wire the computer into the car. The trunk seems to be perfect to install a Mini/Pico ITX based computer. It's definitely doable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknhawk View Post
Personally, i wouldnt do a car pc...just because i know how pc's are and they are slow. I dont think you will be satisfied with the performance. I would have to agree that a straight 7 in screen with a bezel would fit the cubby just fine. I had a 7 inch amdroid tablet that would fit nicely in the open cubby so im sure a little cutting and modding would take care of it. I recommend you look up android in dash receiver on you tube to give you some ideas. There are a couple on there that are really nice... o saw a suburban and a porsche that both looked really well done. I bought a chinese in dash with removable tablet for 400 off ebay and i love it. It is not the best unit in the world but they are starting to become better as time passes. Even if you just got a tablet and made a dock for it i think you would be pretty happy with the functionality. Obd2 is also already built as an app so all you would need is a bluetoothe or wifi connector fo the car to make it fully functional. Just some thoughts....but pc......not on my watch.

Sent from XPARENT TAPATALK on my ATRIX 2!
2012 Base/Sport | 5% | Black emblems | touchscreen nav
I disagree with CarPCs being slow! Although the time to startup is definitely longer than a head unit or waking up a tablet from screen lock, it's not an insane amount of time. Personally, when I start my car's engine, buy the time I get my seat belt on, close the garage, dock my phone, and drive about a 1/10th a mile, the music has started on my CarPC. Nothing unbearable. If you really require rapid startup, you can set the computer to stay in standby, and it will start in seconds. (Of course, draining more battery power than hibernate.)

On the speed of the OS, my PC has 4gb DDR3 memory, dual core Intel processor @ 2.3ghz, and it's a champ once in the OS. You run the touch screens at 800x480 anyway, and at that resolution, I overkill everything that you can throw at me.