View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
37Z
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z MB 6M -sold
37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ztime View Post
Ok so if you look at my recent posts I was having a vibration in my rearend around 70 and up that would come and go on acceleration and hum at 70 and up....dealer said normal but replaced my driveshaft due to grease sling. Car still vibrated!!!!so I decided to dig into it after everyone said normal. I drove two other z cars this last weekend that had like a vibrational tire noise in rear on the road at 45mph so i thought it was normal for our cars to make that low frequency noise. Both cars had about 20-30k on the odometer. Ended up my car was fixed today by torqueing the cv axle nuts in the rear. Apparently there are threads about this due to a clicking but one of mine was loose and had backed off about a full turn on the threads. From what I can figure, the cv axle on the driver side is most probable to do this due to the rotation being opposite the passenger side. After I torqued the nut down and buttoned up the wheels. Went for a drive....no drone vibration at 45 mph in hatch or at 70-80 silky smooth like a lexus.....I am just letting everyone know due to the fact that the cotter key is drilled about 3-5 threads back from the nut shoulder and allows for nut to back off some. The only fix I see that nissan did from earlier years is smeared rtv silicone over the end of the nut and threads which obviously does not work.. Hope this helps someone like me!!!! Id check them if you own one even if no vibe...
What did you torque the CV axle nuts to? Is the CV axle prone to loosen the inner or outer ones?
37Z is offline   Reply With Quote