View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
ResIpsa
Track Member

Drives: 09 RACING HEN
ResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Look Ma, No Clutch!

It was good seeing you up at the Point last weekend. Add some brake ducts and sign up for a full weekend next time.

My second day was quite memorable. While on the track, my clutch slave cylinder began to fail (meaning I was finding it harder and harder to disengage the clutch). I had to make a quick decision and just leave it in fourth gear for the whole session. After pit in, I needed a push to get back into the paddock.

Then it hit me… I have no ability to engage the clutch and I drove here with my tire trailer. I want to thank the guy from Nissan Motorsports who stayed with me until 7:00 p.m. trying to fix the problem. However, it soon became clear that the problem could not be fixed.

I was sitting in the now empty paddock in a driving rain storm. I had a decision to make. Call my wife and let her know that I am going to need a tow because I broke my car. Or…

I turned the car off, disengaged the parking brake, and pushed the gear lever into first gear. Then I hit the starter button. The car lurched forward and fired to life in first gear. I drove about twenty feet and pulled the gear lever into neutral. A firm push on the shifter fell neatly into second gear. I could do this!

I was able to drive the 60 miles home without the use of my clutch!

And for everyone (not in this track section) who flamed me last year for my thread on how to drive the 370Z without the clutch. Screw you!