View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #79 (permalink)
GTMat
Enthusiast Member

Drives: R8 / Z34
GTMat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snea View Post
I was able to complete the GTMat installation yesterday. First, I apologize for the grainy pics and bad lighting. It was raining both days while I did this so I just left the car in the garage.

I did have a few leftover strips that I slapped over the wheel wells after the last pic. Using the 10 sq. ft. I was able to cover maybe 1/2 the hatch area. It looks like more, but there is a lot of vertical surface left uncovered. The product is pretty easy to work with and total installation time probably ran 2.5 hours. I'm sure I could go quicker now after working with the product and understanding how to remove all the interior panels. I was able to mold it into place without much trouble leaving very few points where contact isn't 100%. I can't say I'm looking forward to completing the job since the remaining areas are going to be more difficult, but after hearing the results of partial coverage, it is something I plan on doing.

My exhaust is pretty loud, and the tire/wheel combination definitely adds to the road noise. I only have the base stock sound system (something else on the to-do list) so I can't comment on any improvement there. Upon starting the car, I immediately noticed the exhaust was slightly quieter inside the cabin. The road noise reduction was also apparent, but not as noticeable. I didn't measure decibels, but there was some noticeable improvement from partial coverage on a very loud car. I do believe the additional reduction in noise with 100% luggage and door coverage will be worth it and would be even more so for a stock Z.

I may wait a couple of months for the weather to cool off and hopefully do some speaker replacement at the same time, but I will be completing the job using GTMat.
That is one good looking Z! Out of curiosity, what exhaust set up are you running?
Once you are ready to order, just let me know and I'll hook you up with a discount. Thanks for trying us out!