View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
Redglare
Enthusiast Member

Drives: C172 Skyhawk GIII
Redglare has a reputation beyond reputeRedglare has a reputation beyond reputeRedglare has a reputation beyond reputeRedglare has a reputation beyond reputeRedglare has a reputation beyond reputeRedglare has a reputation beyond reputeRedglare has a reputation beyond reputeRedglare has a reputation beyond reputeRedglare has a reputation beyond reputeRedglare has a reputation beyond reputeRedglare has a reputation beyond repute

Same boat as you, currently drive a scion tC that I got for free.

1.) First time you drove a 370Z ... How did it feel? Fall in love right away?

No, I fell in love with the interior (not so much exterior, when it first came out I promised myself I would never buy this car, but then it grew on me and now I am ok with it, not in love but ok)
Ok performance wise when I first took one for a test drive it felt big + heavy and just not fast, no "turbo" feeling or "vtec" feeling. I know the car is fast for sure but it just doesn't feel fast - and if it doesn't feel fast then obviously the engineers missed something - I like driving a fast car that feels fast.

I took a base sport for another test drive 3 month since the first test drive and this time around after driving the scion tC the car now feels properly quick and I don't feel the weight much anymore (I think my s2k just spoiled me) But I still don't know whether to pull the trigger or just wait for the next gen of the Z (rumors float around that predict the new Z will be less weight/more power with a redesign)
So I keep going back and forth, I am sure if the right one pops up I will pick one up but right now I just keep going back and forth.
The only thing I am scared of is that I will buy the car for it's name and heritage rather then for what it is, or worse I will buy a Z right now and next year they will announce that the next gen Z will be 3000lbs or light with over 330hp.

I am in an interesting situation since I am driving my cousins scion tC, she signed a contract for a year with possibility of extension to three year which means In the meantime I am driving an essentially free scion tC (best part is that she prepayed her insurance)

So I am also looking for advice from fellow board members. I may make a new thread just due to my unique situation.

2.) What car did you own before the 370Z?
Ap2 s2000 (bolt ons), currently cruising in a scion tC waiting on my next move.

3.) Do I just need more time driving the 370Z? Or, if I didn't get that tingling sensation right away, should I just move on?

You should definitely take it for an extended test drive just like I did, make it clear to the dealer/seller that you have the funds for the car and are serious about buying it IF you like it. If you drive it and it just doesn't work for you then walk away, nothing worse then dumping 30k+ on something you will regret.
But you may also fall in love with it after you take some corners and realize that there is more to the Z then meets the eye.
Redglare is offline   Reply With Quote