View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #172 (permalink)
Bonzo
Track Member

Drives: Finally, a 370Z!!!
Bonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond repute

So I had to get working on my silver ring issue again. My original velcro fix didn't work, so I was ready to do the dremel thing I had originally thought about.

That was until I really researched what was going on here. It wasn't just that the clips didn't catch on anything, it was that they were hardly able to catch on anything. Because of the design of these parts on an automatic, the sliver ring just CAN'T go down like it should. The issue is the black plastic shifter gate piece that is too tall. The silver ring comes down and hits the shifter gate, and can't go any further. I figured this all out when I removed both the leather outer piece, and the silver ring. Apart outside the car, the silver ring goes all the way down inside the leather wrap, almost like the stick version.

SO, I decided a new plan, but also involving my dremel. I decided since the gate piece was the problem, that dremeling it woudl allow the silver ring to go in further and have more "grab." it would also look cleaner in the end.

It was a beautiful day out so I did this out on my patio last weekend. It's been a week now since the reinstall and so far the silver ring is staying put perfectly.

I will post some pics next.....
Delivered Tuesday November 15, 9:57 am!!!
2012, Auto, White, Sport, Kick Plates
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote