View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #21 (permalink)
Super Tanooki
Base Member

Drives: 370Z MT Base/Spt Red
Super Tanooki is on a distinguished road

I think Chris Harris is an excellent reviewer. I watch all of his stuff. I agree though - he seems so blindly absorbed by the FR-S hype-train at the moment that he almost comes across as a gloating fanboy in this particular review. He makes some rather large and fundamental criticisms of the FR-S (technically overpriced, "slow", cheap interior, crap engine note, "not for someone who wants performance"), while making fairly trivial complaints on the Z (steering position, rubbery shifter feel) and yet he dresses the review up in a way that makes the FR-S seem incredible and the Z seem like garbage.

Speaking as a professional reviewer myself (I review video games for a living), I admit that it can be easy to get caught up in the moment and overly praise/bash something because you were in the spirit. I've done it. And I think Harris is doing it here. I love my Z - some niggling issues I've had to fix with some simple mods, but I smile every time I hit that gas pedal - and I don't have to be going sideways out of a corner to have fun. I drove an FR-S and it was just too slow for me. I think Harris is reviewing this based on one fact - he likes to slide, and the FR-S tires (combined with a superbly balanced chassis) are low-grip enough to allow for that. And that's pretty much it.

Last edited by Super Tanooki; 08-16-2012 at 04:37 AM.