View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Denny McLain
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z, 96CE hotrod
Denny McLain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpit View Post
The stock intakes are well insulated against engine heat. The R2Cs are insulated also but not as tight so I would assume that the IATs would be slightly higher with the R2Cs after standing for awhile. Also, all the aftermarket intakes use aluminum or chrome tubing and it conducts heat faster than the rubber used in the stock intakes.
I have the gen 3 Stillen and have been monitoring the intake temps pretty closely. Really wished I had monitored the stock intake for comparison, but the first thing I noticed was the long thin shinny tubes that were bound to suck up heat. Wrapped them with two layers of insulated heat barrier and then started to monitor the intake temps.

Frankly they seem to be all over the board and I've not found a consistent pattern except when driven on the hwy for extend periods. Not counting stop n go traffic, they seem to be as low as 6 degrees above ambient when driven "briskly" on a back road, however sometimes they run 12-14 degrees hotter.

Think your ambient temps being lower plus I have a black car is another factor.

The sensor that monitors intake temps is located with the passenger side MAF and I just put an addition two layers of heat barrier over that sensor to see if it helps. Been trying to tune the car and noticed there is a direct correlation to water temps and probably also intake temps pulling out timing. I've seen a 3-4 degree difference in timing also 10 hp on the dyno just in temp differences.
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote