View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #141 (permalink)
SharpByCoop
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '08 G37S - Graphite
SharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of light

Been a while since I've updated this thread. My thread over on myG37.com has been ongoing....

Short version: Bent rods and broke a ring land in above video. If the car is breaking up (listening from outside) that ain't good. Any number of things can produce this, none of them welcome.

Removed engine, new 9:1 Wiseco pistons, new A1 rods, Full ARP studs and hardware, completely balanced lower end, reseated valves and seats, new cam controllers (ouch!), all assembled and back together. This happened from March-June.

Car has 900 miles on it and is running sweet. Has not had a final tune to the new combo. In conversation with Sam at GTM and with Jimmy, we determined that the fuel needs were the next progression to ensure this won't implode.

Ordered and rec'd a larger capacity Aeromotive pump, 750cc injectors, and the fuel rail return system. All from GTM.

Below is where I'm at as I write:

The car is now at The Shop, and here's what's getting done:

The fuel pump pod has the new pump installed, along with the new AN fittings and lines. This is not a simple bolt-in. Some parts need to be modified. There is no one more careful than Hector for this kind of work. That's the old pump sitting alone.

Under the hood is the ongoing installation of the machined fuel rails and return lines. Witness how he carefully masked off the intake, and didn't simply stuff rags into it. He's good.

Props to GTM for the solid parts and for getting back to Jimmy and Hector with some install directions.

One of two garage bays where The Shop does the work. Jimmy's 1200whp GTR is up on the right. Before the end of the Fall he is committed to an eight-second timecard.

All the cars they work on are performance cars. Major props.

I'm going on vacation this thursday for nine days. They will work on it without my badgering in the meanwhile. LOL!

I've talked to the new tuner (Mike Botti) at length: Work on the low speed tune for utmost day-to-day response and driveability. Then, 550whp redline tune on local pump 93. That's PLENTY for day to day driving and fun. 650whp tune/boost on RACE FUEL for the track day. Figure out how to get there and replicate this. I'll want to go in Sept, when the temps cool a bit.

I don't forecast tens at all. The torque converter will limit a hard launch. I DO suspect an 11.3 or 11.2 is attainable and sustainable.

Time will tell. That said, this is my street car, and a reliable 550whp street ride has unmistakeable authority.

Coop